Friday, July 22, 2005

Cricket

Langer's just been run out by Pietersen, which has cheered me up greatly. I must say, I feared the worst this morning. McGrath's bowling yesterday had been superb, and our tail isn't exactly known for its batting prowess. But Jones and Harmison batted very sensibly for tail-enders - pushed the ball for runs and weren't afraid to have a go. Unless we were throwing the bat around we were just chucking an opportunity away. Although it's one of the funny things about cricket that throwing the bat at bowlers can often be more successful than trying to play them in the technically correct manner.

Pietersen's dismissal annoyed me - I hate it when the established batsmen gets out hitting whilst batting with the tail - but then again there were most likely team instructions to get after Warne; and he was a bit unlucky with such a sensational catch from Martyn.

The scene is set for a fascinating passage of cricket. The game really is in the balance, and the session after lunch will be the key session in the Test. I fancy whichever side wins that wins the game.