Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Oval Dreaming

Well, I'm on the other side of the pond, so my access to following the Ashes decider tomorrow will be decidedly limited - frustrating beyond belief! I understand from the BBC that McGrath is fit, which isn't good news. Nevertheless, I'm still optimistic about the chances for an England victory tomorrow. Firstly, the momentum must be with England now. Even though they've almost thrown two games right down the drain, and failed to win a third they were completely on top of, they now know that they are capable of beating Australia. That mental barrier had always been a problem in the past.Now, it isn't, and the team is playing with a confidence unheard of for an England cricket team. Clive Woodward would be proud.

Secondly, the Australian batsmen have suffered from repeated failure. Even Hayden's century over the weekend can't mask the lack of form he has endured - surely with a better range of options in the squad, he would have been dropped? Gilchrist's form, too, so often a crucial tenet of Australian success, has been woeful.

We're on the verge of a great victory. My travels may take me elsewhere, but I will be thinking in depth about the Ashes. And hoping beyond hope that England can finally prevail. Those of you reading this, please keep me informed in the comments!