Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Language and the TV Licensing Authority

Returning home from a hard day's work at the library today, I was greeted by an envelope shoved under my door. The letter turned out to be a missive from some of my least favourite people, the TV Licensing authorities. Do they really have nothing better to do with their time than to engage in large-scale environmental terrorism sending leaflet after leaflet after leaflet to students?

In any case, their letter is completely needless. I do not have a TV in my room; nor do I have any other means of receiving a TV signal. And yet they write, in block capitals and a shaded box to emphasise the point:

WARNING: OUR RECORDS SHOW YOUR ADDRESS IS CURRENTLY UNLICENSED. AS A RESULT, IT HAS BEEN PASSED TO OUR ENFORCEMENT DIVISION, WHO WILL BE STARTING AN INVESTIGATION

So, being considered guilty without any evidence to suggest it, then - other than the heinous crime of not having a TV Licence.

It's the next bit that's really surprising, though.

"Of course, if you don't require a TV Licence, you can halt our investigation by writing to us".

Well, I could. Alternatively, given that they are writing to me as if I am breaking the law, I can not tell them, and thus thoroughly waste their time. Additionally, why on earth should I be wasting my time (I've wasted enough of it unnecessarily by opening and reading the letter) to tell them that I'm doing things legally?

I object to this sort of thing because it is using deliberately deceptive language to try and make their lives easier. There is no obligation for me to do anything, yet they have written the letter to try and make me do something. That's not on, and it's not a fair use of time or money.