Monday, December 26, 2005

Miserable This Christmas

Stephen Pollard is making a late bid for the Curmudgeon of the Year award:

Can you really say that yesterday was a day you’d like to repeat? That if someone waved a magic wand, you would like to do it all over again today. And tomorrow. And the day after. And then the day after that.
Christmas Day is something to be endured, not enjoyed. It is the single most boring day of the year.


Well, I, for one, can say that yesterday was a day I would like to repeat - and I reckon there are at least five other people that can join me in that. I had a wonderful time and almost invariably look back on my Christmases fondly. Indeed, the only reason I wouldn't want a magic wand to repeat the day over and over again is that sufficient repetitions would make it tedious - not anything intrinsic to the events of the day itself.

As for his complaints about everything being shut - well, tough. I'm pretty certain it would be exactly the same if I went to Israel during Yom Kippur. My guess there would be that Pollard would ask "what do you expect from a Jewish state?" Well, things being shut on Christmas Day is what happens when you live in a country that has a large residual Christianity, and that considers celebrating Christmas as part of their cultural heritage. If enough people want to celebrate it, things will be closed.

It's just a fact of living in Britain. Pollard really should have got over it by now.