Friday, April 15, 2005

What will come of this?

Maybe I'm just a hopeless cynic. I've just signed the Labour NHS petition - yes, I want a free NHS, but to be quite honest the petition is meaningless guff and I suspect they just want the email address to spam me for the rest of the campaign. I signed largely because there was a comments section, where I added the comment: "After eight years in government can you only hope for re-election by peddling such lies?"

That is because the Tory policy is not to introduce charges for NHS operations in the slightest. In fact, if the policy works (and I don't suggest it will, nor am I necessarily a fan of it), then it should have the effect of costing the NHS less per operation and reducing NHS waiting lists. That seems a good idea to me. Of course, it may lead to private health firms increasing their charges massively to incorporate the state subsidy they would get. But the policy has some merit, and it certainly isn't introducing charges like Labour mendaciously contend.

So, what do you think? Will Labour actually bother responding to my comment, or will I have to go and track down my local Labour candidate? And how many emails will I get before the campaign ends?