Tuesday, May 03, 2005

What is the Point?

Why, oh why, are Test matches still held in on the Antigua Recreation Ground when it is in the state that it is at the moment? Last year, the cricket fans amongst you may recall, Brian Lara hit the world's first 400 on an ARG pitch that was even less threatening than an England bowling attack minus Hoggard and Harmison (I'd back myself to get some runs against Gareth Batty).

This year, a match between West Indies and South Africa has made a mockery of Test cricket in much the same way Bangladesh do. 11 bowlers have bowled in one innings, for what I presume is the first time in a Test match, although I'm not certain on that. Eight batsmen have scored centuries because the pitch was so flat. How is that a "Test" of anything?

While we're on a cricket theme, I'd also like to ask what the point of submitting a weak Denmark team to be rolled over by a Northants second-teamer is.